There are times in life where a little extra help is needed and no more so than when you are studying. Everybody works at a different rate and some subjects come easier to some people than to others. Very often if a career is being sought as a veterinarian, medical doctor, lawyer or other chosen career, extra tutoring may be necessary to get those all so important grades in the relevant subjects. Extra tutoring is nothing new, but finding your tutor online in one place is. Whether you are a concerned parent trying to assist an under pressure child or a college student needing some extra help, a tutor can make a real difference, not only to teach but to mentor as well.
WyzAnt is like a directory for tutors with listings of highly qualified tutors nationwide. Students or parents can search on the subject they are interested in and need help with and also add a geographical location. WyzAnt provides a list of tutors qualified to teach the chosen subject and the areas in which they tutor. The data shown to the end user for each tutor helpfully shows a photograph, name, hourly rate and some a little information. A click on a given tutor will show a biography that shows education which will usually be undergraduate or graduate degrees, location, distance a tutor will travel and an hourly fee. The tutor also gives a personal summary of their specialist areas, cancellation policy and hours available. Customers can rate the tutor, and the rating is displayed on the page.
When you have decided on a tutor you wish to use WyzAnt takes care of the financial matters for you, allowing you to pay using Visa, PayPal, Check, or Money Order. You can also purchase a “package” that allows you to pay a discounted rate. Most tutors charge anywhere between $15 and $50 per hour, but the fee varies based on geographic location and the qualifications of the tutor. WyzAnt guarantees the tutor, and offers a full refund if you are not satisfied with the results.
WyzAnt undertakes background checking and the tutor biography page shows whether the tutor has passed the process. The background check feature is particularly nice for parents of younger children who are looking for a tutor and provides peace of mind. The background check includes many individual checks but as a minimum the identity of the tutor is verified, and checks for any felonies, sex crimes, or violent misdemeanors that the tutor may have been charged with.
If you have any inquiries you wish to make directly to the tutor, a contact form allows you to send your query from the site via email.
The WyzAnt website is simple to navigate and is free of any advertising or pop ups which add to the professional look. Creating a student account is a simple process and is initiated if a tutor is contacted or a request is raised to ask them to contact you.
Tutors create an account for free and the site makes money by deducting around 20% of the tutors hourly fees. WyzAnt offers support for students and tutors. There is a large FAQ section that can help answer any questions you may have.
Finding a tutor using WyzAnt is simple to do, and there is an impressive variety of tutors available, however diverse the subject. It will take just minutes to find a suitable tutor for your purposes. Users of the site will enjoy the streamlined design of the site, without having to wade through a lot of information; IT was comparatively uncluttered and straightforward. Without sign up fees for student or tutor, it encourages the two parties and makes the business model of WyzAnt way more appealing than competitor websites. Definitely worth a try to find a suitable tutor before spending out in other areas.
What do tutors and students think of WyzAnt? The following reviews gathered around the web give a fairly comprehensive view of how things are going.
The Student Experience
Student Review 1
“I found WyzAnt through a Google search when I was in desperate need of help in organic chemistry. I emailed several tutors through the site, still not exactly sure that I’d even get a response. Within hours I had heard from three tutors and I settled on a young lady named Sana. She was $40 per hour which trust me is a great deal in NYC, especially for an Ivy League educated medical professional who traveled to my neighborhood, Union Square, for no extra charge. It was very helpful to be able to speak with Sana before making any payments or commitments. When I was ready, I added a credit card to the website and after the lessons I got an email from WyzAnt with my lesson details and the amount charged to my card. The combination of the tutor selection, price, quality and simply payment mechanism makes WyzAnt a great choice if you need a tutor. I would highly recommend the company and its tutors.”
Student Review 2
“I used WyzAnt to search for a tutor and within a week I had set up my first session with a tutor. The profiles of tutors are so easy to read and the web site is very user friendly. Even when I wasn’t emailing tutors, tutors were emailing me giving their credentials and why they would be a good fit to tutor me. There is such a wide variety of
tutors for so many different subjects that I am sure to use WyzAnt for any of my other tutoring needs. I loved the package deal that came with pre-ordering credit from the website, as tutoring can get expensive it is nice to get a break anywhere you can, and WyzAnt definitely gives you the opportunity to save money and get extra credit for tutoring every which way you turn. The site also gives you tutors that are in your area, so finding a tutor that can meet at your home, or your college is as easy as 1 2 3. I loved using this website to search for a tutor and definitely suggest this site to anyone else who is looking for a tutor.”
The Tutor Experience
Tutor Review 1
I have been a tutor with WyzAnt in a major metropolitan area for a year, and I have worked at least 10-15 hours a week almost since the very beginning. So I feel I have enough experience to review the company from a tutor’s perspective.
First, the good:
1. WyzAnt offers tutors the ability to create a very detailed profile page that includes your picture, blog, videos, and detailed descriptions of the different subject areas you teach. They also include written testimonials from students. This means you don’t have to have a separate website to advertise your work. Plus, they market you aggressively – just do a Google search for “tutor” and you will see WyzAnt’s sponsored ads and very high position in Google search results.
2. You set your own rate and WyzAnt takes 40% at first, but as you get more and more hours, WyzAnt takes less and less of a cut. This is a great incentive to work your butt off and it feels really great to get a sudden pay increase after hitting 20 hours. Remember, if you are working 10 hours a week, it is not going to take long to get a pay increase. The pay increases schedule is as follows:
0-19 hours: you keep 60%
20-49 hours: you keep 65%
50-199 hours: you keep 70%
200-399 hours: you keep 75%
400 + hours: you keep 80%
The cut that WyzAnt takes may seem like a lot at first, but you get a lot of value for that price. I have my own website in addition to WyzAnt’s website, but I get almost no inquiries from that site and I get at least 4 or 5 inquiries each week from my WyzAnt’s profile.
3. WyzAnt makes sure that students submit billing information before they schedule a class, so you don’t get burned. Some on this site have complained that this scares students away, and I am sure it does, but if they are so easily scared by the reality of having to pay, then it’s probably best to let them go.
4. WyzAnt has recently improved the way they pay tutors, so you get your pay about five days after submitting the lesson, and you can get it by direct deposit.
Now, for the (very) bad:
1. WyzAnt does not make students pay in advance. So, if a student cancels 10 minutes before the lesson, or doesn’t show up at all, then you get nothing. Unless you charge the student for the class anyway, which is your right. However, you run into the next problem…
2. WyzAnt allows students to leave anonymous ratings for every lesson, even when the student is charged for cancelling at the last minute or not showing up at all. So if you charge the student for the no-show, don’t you think the student will retaliate by giving you the lowest rating possible? Of course!! Who wouldn’t do that if they were ticked off about being charged?!? I have talked to the company about this, and they really don’t care. Their response is, “Go ahead and charge the student.” If you say, “But won’t the student retaliate?” they will answer, “Maybe.” Thanks, WyzAnt, for caring.
3. Another problem with the anonymous review system is that students use it to get free hours from you or manipulate you into breaking your agreement with WyzAnt. I have had more than one student say that if I don’t charge them for the first lesson, or if I do some editing at home for free, or if I do their math homework and send it back to them (again, for free), then they will make sure they give me good ratings and testimonials. The unspoken message here is that getting a good rating from them depends on my willingness to give them my time for free. When this happens, you feel that even if you don’t want to make any deals with them, you still can’t charge them for your time, because they will retaliate. This kind of situation has happened to me a few times. I always tell the company about this and their response? “Go ahead and charge the student.” Uh, okay. Thanks, WyzAnt.
4. Can’t you just deal with this by refusing to work with the student? Not if you want to stay on as a WyzAnt tutor. There are numerous horror stories floating around by people who got canned because they turned students down. If you want to stop working with a student, you have to be VERY careful how you do it, because the company monitors email very closely. They have a bad reputation for suddenly and inexplicably terminating tutor accounts for little or no apparent cause. So, it’s best not to make this your only job.
5. Did I say that WyzAnt markets you aggressively? Well, that’s not all good. WyzAnt will take any information you put in your profile and sell it to other sites, who will post fake profiles for you on their sites, as if you made the choice to register. Don’t believe me? Check out Teach Street and you will see many WyzAnt tutors who probably don’t know they are there. You can tell because if you click on their “website” link it will go directly to their WyzAnt profile. I found myself on that site and a few other websites and demanded that they take my profile down, but they refused. Why not just enjoy the added publicity? Because some of these other sites look shady, and your association with them makes you look shady, too. Also, some of them have policies regarding student ratings and reviews that you may not like. For instance, anyone can register as a student on Teach Street and leave you any reviews they want – they don’t have to be your student. As a woman, this really creeps me out.
For me, the bad grossly outweighs the good, so I cannot recommend WyzAnt for people who are looking for a primary source of income. However, it is fine if you are only interested in working for about 10 hours a week, and you are okay with losing money on no-shows and late cancellations, and you are okay with the uncertainty of never knowing when WyzAnt will suddenly cut off this stream of income. Hey, until I can replace that 10 hours, I’m still working with them. (Or until I get canned. I’ll keep you posted.)
Tutor Review 2
“I am a Wyzant tutor and the experience has been great. So many whiners on here. If you feel 40% initially is too high, why not build your own site, manage it, market it, collect your fees, deal with charge backs and customer complaints, reply all the thousands of clients you will get, collect on bad checks….you get the message. We live in a society of whiners who will complain if they won a million dollars in the lottery.
Why would any parent be concerned about how much a tutor is getting paid? The client has already committed to paying that amount so who cares. I hope no whiners on here completed college because that would be so sad. With your degree you should be competent and resourceful enough to build your own tutoring company and pay tutors 100% while paying for marketing, payroll etc. Go ahead and try it.
I prepare for my lessons, tutor students in my local area through Wyzant, receive my earned income and love what I do. If I could build my own site I would have. Obviously I can’t that’s why I signed up with Wyzant and they’re great.”
Business to Business Spotlight on WyzAnt, Inc.
WyzAnt.com is a platform where tutors and students meet, communicate, process payments and manage their ongoing tutoring relationships. They provide a number of tools to both tutors and students that allow them to meet in an efficient, secure manner. The site includes extensive quality controls to ensure the quality of the tutors and that they respond to all student inquiries quickly.
How Are They Different?
WyzAnt allows students and parents to freely search an extensive network of qualified, local tutors, review tutors credentials and certifications, and initiate a dialogue to determine which tutor will be best suited to meet their individual needs. Other companies may offer similar services, but no other organization has such a robust network of qualified educators accessible free of charge.
Why Could Wyzant, Inc Be BIG?
The tutoring industry within the United States is a multibillion dollar industry. As more parents turn to the internet to research educational options for their children, an established network of qualified tutors will position them well to take advantage of this lucrative market. Over the past 5 years, their own successful online marketing efforts and SEO strategies have allowed WyzAnt to grow from a 2-person startup to an 11-person multimillion dollar company without taking any financing along the way.
How Do WyzAnt Inc Plan To Make Money:
Most tutoring service providers function primarily as listing services, charging tutors and/or students a small fee to post an account or search their directory. WyzAnt actively facilitates the relationship between tutor and student from the time a student requests a tutor to the time lessons have been completed. WyzAnt is able to process all lesson transactions providing students with the freedom to choose a convenient method of payment while tutors are able to focus on providing excellent support with the security of knowing that they will be compensated for their time.
As can be seen, conceptually, WyzAnt is solid and meets a demonstrable need. It seems that there are positive and negative reviews depending on individual experience. Many people are very happy with the service while others are disgruntled. This is the normal experience of any business of this type.